Upgrade to Redhat 8.0 may cause afacli to no longer function

Fri Nov 22 15:41:01 CST 2002

> Apparently
> the newer kernel (2.4.18-14 in my case) has different major #s for
> aacraid than did the one for Redhat 7.2 (2.4.9-31) .  Re-running
> MAKEDEV.afa in /dev will rewrite the /dev/afa* device files
> to match the
> change (re-installing the RPM for afaapps would probably fix
> it as well.)

The major/minor numbers are assigned dynamically to the aacraid driver.  So
yes, /dev/afa0 may well not be correct if you change kernels, load other
modules before aacraid, etc.  Tesfamariam has a newer release of the
aacraid-utils package for 8.0 that should handle this properly, deleting and
re-creating the /dev/afa* nodes on each userspace app invocation that uses
them, just to make sure they're right.

Thanks,
Matt

--