Problems installing OMSA

Ed Martin ed.martin at iop.org
Fri Nov 22 10:56:01 CST 2002

Hi,

My colleague has been unable to install OMSA, and I wondered if anyone on the list could help.  I know that several people in the past have posted OMSA problems, with some solutions suggested, but we remain stuck.  So either we have a different problem, or we've missed a relevent post.  Either way any advice or pointers would be much appreciated.

I'd echo the two thumbs up for Dell btw, this list is one factor that is keeping us happy buying our servers from Dell.  And such is my high opinion of the list that I tend to check/post here before going to Dell technical support.

Yours,

Ed

Details follow
----

I've tried installing OMSA from the Systems Management 3.2.2 CD on a
PE1550 with RedHat 7.3 running the 2.4.18-17.7.x kernel, and a PE2650 with
RedHat 7.3 running the 2.4.18-18.7.x kernel, by following the instructions
from Steve Boley.

The installation failed at the same point in both cases, while running
the start_text.sh script, when it says that the running kernel is not
supported, even though the device driver was successfully built during
the previous step. I've pasted the session from the 1550 below:

[root at tweedledee cdrom]# uname -r
2.4.18-17.7.xsmp
[root at tweedledee cdrom]# cd sa47/linux/
[root at tweedledee linux]# rpm -ivh --nodeps dellomsa-drivers-4.70-3613.i386.rpm
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:dellomsa-drivers       ########################################### [100%]

Building device driver for running kernel:                 [FAILED]
Running kernel is not supported.
See Dynamic Kernel Support in the Server Administrator readme.txt file.

Run rpm using the -e option to clean up the RPM database. Enter:
rpm -e dellomsa-drivers-4.70-3613

dellomsa-drivers-4.70-3613.i386.rpm: Install was NOT successful! ERROR 42

error: execution of %post scriptlet from dellomsa-drivers-4.70-3613 failed, exit status 42
[root at tweedledee linux]# cd /usr/lib/dell/openmanage/omsa/drivers/open_src/esm
[root at tweedledee esm]# cp dcesm.c dcesm.c.orig
[root at tweedledee esm]# vi dcesm.c
[root at tweedledee esm]# diff dcesm.c.orig dcesm.c
40c40
< #include <linux/malloc.h>
---
> #include <linux/slab.h>
58c58
< #include <linux/vmalloc.h>
---
> #include <linux/slab.h>
[root at tweedledee esm]# cd /usr/lib/dell/openmanage/omsa/bin
[root at tweedledee bin]# ./dellomsaesm start
Building device driver for running kernel:                 [  OK  ]
[root at tweedledee esm]# cd /mnt/cdrom
[root at tweedledee cdrom]# ./start_text.sh
Turning off DMA on IDE CDROM drives.
Disabling DMA for CDROM /dev/hda
./sysid: error while loading shared libraries: libdchapi32.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Checking Dependencies...
Installation failed : Server Administrator does not support the running kernel.
See the Server Administrator readme file for more information.

[root at tweedledee cdrom]#

---
Ed Martin
Head of Systems Technology and Support
IOP Publishing Ltd
Dirac House, Temple Back
Bristol  BS1 6BE
ddi: +44 (0)117 930 1102
www:  http://www.iop.org

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked by MIMEsweeper using
F-Secure Anti-Virus for the presence of computer viruses.