SuSE 8.1 on PE1300 aic7xxx failure

SISTEMAS INDUSTRIAL TAYLOR LTDA. - David Ramírez sistemas at industrialtaylor.com
Thu Nov 21 14:03:00 CST 2002

When installing SuSE 8.1 Professional on my POWEREDGE 1300 (2 x Pentium III
500, 256 MB RAM, 9 GB SCSI HD) I encountered problems that until now have
defied any solution:

During initial loading of the installation, the message:
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno=2

After that, I get to the installation process seemingly normally.
Avoiding an apparent bug that brings an error when using 1024x768 resolution
(Software selection fails), I can get a normal installation, but when the
first reboot is asked, It doen't come up, with an endless loop of
SCSI-related errors (commad ABORT).
Changing some adjustments I got timeout errors.
After searching the web, I decided to try the aic7xxx_old driver (instead of
the automatically selected aic7xxx).
A "minimal install" was sucessful, then I tried to repeat the steps (could
have missed something) - so many times and combinations that I am about to
give up and returning to the previusly installed and functioning SuSE 7.2.

Does anybody have had the same problem ? Any hints to get thru it ?

Thank you for any answer.

Ing. DAVID RAMIREZ MOLINA
Director de Sistemas
INDUSTRIAL TAYLOR LTDA.