Hardware Watchdog on Dell 1650 for RedHate Linux Cluster

Thu Nov 21 13:57:00 CST 2002

>     We are in the process of clustering two Dell 1650s with
> RedHat Linux.  As we are not utilizing hardware power
> switches, we have decided to try and use hardware watchdogs.
> However, we are not sure what entry to place in the
> /etc/modules.conf file for the watchdog on the 1650.
>     Has anyone done this with a 1650?  If so, can you supply
> us with the entry for the modules.conf?
> (alias watchdog ???????)

The hardware watchdog is handled by OMSA and do 'omconfig the 'esm.o' kernel
module it provides.  It doesn't use the Linux kernel standard watchdog
functionality, so no /etc/modules.conf changes are needed.  Install OMSA,
then see
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-November/004880.html
for an example on how to make it work using the 'omconfig system recovery'
command.

Thanks,
Matt

--