RedHat 8.0 on PE 2650?

Sanders, Jim Jim.Sanders at sunmed.com
Thu Nov 21 12:41:00 CST 2002

I bought a PowerEdge 2650 the other day that will be an Apache/MySQL/PHP web
server, and  I have been trying to get various versions of Linux to load
into it.  I did have a lot of luck with RedHat 7.3 using the Dell OpenManage
server assistant to get my system ready.  However I initially had trouble
with kernel panics in SMP mode, which seems to be a known issue so I
upgraded the kernel.  Now I randomly get a completely frozen box, no display
on the console and it's dead to the world as far as networking goes.

So at this point I have decided I'd like to move up to version 8.0 since
that is what my Dell reps are saying is the only version they can sell me
now anyway.  I just downloaded 8.0's 3 disk set and would like to use server
assistant to help me load it again so that I know I get all the
perc/nic/hyperthreading drivers loaded properly, but my version of server
assistant doesn't support 8.0.

Whew - with that all said, my question is either a) is there an updated
server assistant disk I can get that will work with 8.0?  or b) what are the
tips and tricks to getting RH8 on a PE 2650 without the assistant to do it
for me?

I do have quite a bit of Linux experience, primarily with Gentoo which is a
"do it yourself from scratch" distro so that won't be a concern :)  But
since this server is also sort of a guinea pig for how easy Linux is to
install on a Dell server, I would like to go the server assistant route so
an install will be more palatable to my Microsoft "Born and Raised"
colleagues. haha

Jim Sanders
Network Administrator