3GB Thread limit

Wed Nov 20 22:38:01 CST 2002

> Any ideas how to get around the 3GB per thread limit in Linux 2.4.18-4?..
> I have a large process I want to run (4-5 GB), and the 3GB limit doesn't
> cut it..

x86 is fundamentally limited to 4GB of address space per process, including
space for the kernel, shared libraries, etc.  The simplest solution to get
past that is to run a 64-bit address capable processor such as Itanium or
x86-64.

There are tricks you can do with shared memory (multiple processes can
allocate 2GB each, and share them with other processes via shm), but that
gets really ugly in a hurry...

Thanks,
Matt

--