OMSA & SNMPd dead

Joshua_Giles@Dell.com Joshua_Giles at Dell.com
Tue Nov 19 15:54:00 CST 2002

Michael,

Are there any other SNMP subagents on the system?  Perhapts adaptec or LSI
based?  If so, try stopping those and then re-trying the query.  I would
also suggest using a newer version of snmp from sourceforge(net-snmp-5.0.6
is pretty stable).

Read ya,

Joshua Giles

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Markstaller [mailto:mm at elabnet.de]
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 1:31 PM
To: linux-poweredge at exchange.dell.com
Subject: OMSA & SNMPd dead

Hi,

after installing OMSA (with dynamic kernel-driver, after trying and
reading a few hours) dellomsa-drivers-4.70-3613, dellomsa-4.70-3613 from
APP32_LNX_MN my snmpd is dead now. I already tried to remove the
mux-entry from /etc/snmp/snmd.conf with the same result, it dies on the
first query.. Any hints ?
It's a PE2450, Perc3/Si with RH 7.1 latest RH-kernel 2.4.18-18.7.xsmp
and ucd-snmp-4.2.5-7.71.0.rpm from RH. The system is standard redhat
with latest packages installed (and I won't change this to something
so-much-better-self-compiled, I'm happy with binaries and automatic
updates)

Also, from the W2k OMSA I'm used to get the storage/raid status via
snmp, which was the initial reson to start this
installation-compilation-desaster; is this possible somehow ? The
afasnmp-2.7-1.i386.rpm at least dind't work at all.

Despite I'm asking myself how linux should ever get something really
usable when it's even impossible to setup simple server-agents without
downloading hundreds of MB of kernel-sources and dealing with such
stuff. I've missed setup.exe and the continue-button today ;)

Thanks for your help

Michael Markstaller