hardware RAID cards in PE4600

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 19 04:03:01 CST 2002

At 17:04 18-11-2002 -0600, Alexander Lazarevich wrote:
>LSI Logic MegaRAID SCSI 320-2

New card, I think Dell might offer this card soon since it is a evolution
of the current u160 cards.

>Adaptec SCSI RAID 2200S

Don't

>Mylex eXtrememRAID 2000

This card is(was) rated as one of the best cards for use under linux. The
driver is mature afaik and this card was supported long ago.

VA Linux systems used these cards exclusively for the servers. The
Extremeraid cards are based on StrongArm 233Mhz processors which are faster
then the "standard" i960 controllers.

I asked a Dell representative in the past about the availabilty of these
controllers but it wasn't possible.

>We are looking to get approx. 80-100MB/sec with hardware RAID 5 (8 X 73BG
>drives). Is this possible with any controller?

Read or write, read is possible. Write is difficult. You might need to make
it a raid 10 for fast write speeds.

Cheers

--
Seth