New 2.4.18-18 kernel doesn't fix lockups

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 19 02:37:01 CST 2002

At 10:27 19-11-2002 +1000, jason andrade wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Half the posts about lockups seem to indicate a problem with the tg3 driver
>and a recommendation to switch to the bcm5700 driver.
>
>The other half appear to say exactly the opposite.

It depends on the revision of the drivers.

I rate the standard tg3 driver from 7.3 better then the 2.0 bcm5700 driver.

But as it stands now the 2.2 bcm5700 driver seems to have fixed most
outstanding issues the driver had.
I have to run some tests to see what is faster or more reliable.

So far I just replaced all the broadcom boards from my servers with Intel
e1000 cards.

>Just for the record, can anyone authoritatively say that the tg3 driver
>is definitely the cause for the lockups and they do not happen with the
>bcm5700 driver ?

Who knows ;-)
Computers are a bit of voodoo after all.

>Is there any other loss of functionality by using the bcm5700 driver ?

Not that I know off. You can link 2 broadcom cards for loadbalancing with
the bcm5700 driver. The tg3 can't do this yet (with other utilities yes,
failover?)

>Which is the default one ? I am assuming it's the tg3, and the bcm5700
>has to be downloaded.

The Red Hat Linux kernel contains both. But they are older then the drivers
that are currently available.
You can try downloading the newer 2.2 bcm5700 drivers from the Dell site.

Cheers

--
Seth