Dell or Compaq for a LAN Fileserver?

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Mon Nov 18 13:38:00 CST 2002

On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, at 11:41am, teodarren at myrealbox.com wrote:
> The Dell will be configured with a Perc3/QC RAID controoler ...

  IIRC, the PERC 3/QC is an LSI (formerly AMI) MegaRAID Enterprise 1600.
You might find more information that card than the Dell-branded version.
Product home page is here:

http://www.lsilogic.com/products/stor_prod/raid/ent1600.html

  So far, Dell has given me the appearance that they are ignoring the
performance problems in their RAID controllers.  They may be treating it as
a serious issue internally, but out here in the Real World, we see nothing
but a nearly content-free acknowledgment in the FAQ.  This disappoints me,
as I really like Dell's products otherwise.

  In this situation, the proper thing to do is likely to buy the Compaq that
performs better, and send a polite letter to your Dell sales representative
explaining how they lost the sale.  Demonstrating a loss of potential
revenue is the best way to get the attention of a corporation.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>