pe2650 console hang

John McMonagle johnm at advocap.org
Mon Nov 18 13:33:00 CST 2002

Did some more testing..

It was suggested to pass noapic  to the kernel. Didn't help :(

Seems to happen only when in a screen saver. This is in kde 3.0.4 in case that
matters. Turning off the screen saver seems to do the job.
It bothers me to have such a vulnerable system.
Have many workstations with the same redhat and kde with no problems.
There are no log messages.
While X dies it doesn't take it down totally.
This is what all my user processes that are left:
johnm     2415  1645  0 10:48 tty2     00:00:00 -bash
johnm     2527     1  0 10:48 ?        00:00:00 kdeinit: Running...
johnm     2530     1  0 10:48 ?        00:00:00 kdeinit: dcopserver --nosid
johnm     2533     1  0 10:48 ?        00:00:00 kdeinit: klauncher
johnm     2544  2527  0 10:48 ?        00:00:01 /usr/bin/artsd -F 10 -S 4096 -s

Note that I started X with startx.

I see that startkde managed to terminate.
My guess is that something is still holding on to a device and not letting the
console to come back.

John