PowerEdge, PowerVault, and Linux

Rechenberg, Andrew arechenberg at shermfin.com
Mon Nov 18 09:57:00 CST 2002

Check your SCSI cables.

I know that sounds cliché, but we had almost half of a PowerVault 220S go offline recently (5 of 7 drives were flashing orange).  Only one of the drives had to be replaced, the rest were fine once we replaced the SCSI cable to that side of the Vault and brought them back online with the PERC BIOS.  Luckily we were running RAID10 so we didn't lose any data :)

If you have the cable pinched or crimped somewhere, or a pin in the connector is bent it can cause all kinds of havoc.

Good luck,
Andy.