Dell or Compaq for a LAN Fileserver?

darren teodarren at myrealbox.com
Mon Nov 18 09:41:01 CST 2002

Hi all,

I am buying hardware to make my linux fileserver (NFS/Samba/ftp/http) on
a GigE LAN.

Have a choice between a Dell PowerEdge2650 or Compaq. Both have 2 x
Xeons 2.4GHz and 2GB of ram. Only difference is in the brand of the
network card (dell uses Broadcom and Compaq got 3Com) and the RAID
array.

The Dell will be configured with a Perc3/QC RAID controoler while the
Compaq will be equipped with the Compaq SMART Array 5 (or so the
salesgirl said). I think the choice of RAID will be very crucial to my
implementation and am hesitating fro getting the Dell because of this.

Anyone got experience, comments or any recommendations?

Thanx in advance.

Darren