6650 hangs when it reaches the "Freeing unused kernel memory" sta ge

Schenk, Tom tschenk at origin.ea.com
Fri Nov 15 15:57:01 CST 2002

I have been able to repeatedly hang a 6650 by using fdisk.  Here are the
details:

Dell PE 6650 with Megaraid controller (Perc 3/Dc I believe)
one logical container using all of the disks
SCSI system
4 Gigs RAM
Running a customized kernel built from the RedHat Advanced Server 2.1 kernel
source.

I installed the box and realized that the partitions were not what I wanted.
On the running system, I unmounted the last partition, deleted it and
created two partitions in it's place.
I made appropriate adjustments to the /etc/fstab file and rebooted.  On
reboot, it hangs right after printing "Freeing unused kernel memory".  Has
anyone seen this before?

--
 Thomas Schenk
 Sr. Unix Administrator