smartmontools

Drew Smith drew at eastvan.bc.ca
Thu Nov 14 17:55:01 CST 2002

	Holas,

	In my ongoing quest to monitor my RH8 Dell machines on a hardware
level, I have been led to an interesting utility:

	http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

	From the webpage:

	"The smartmontools package contains two utility programs (smartctl and
smartd) to control and monitor storage systems using the
Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology System (S.M.A.R.T.)
built into most modern ATA and SCSI hard disks.  It is derived from the
smartsuite package, and includes support for ATA/ATAPI-5 disks.  It
should run on any modern Linux system."

	So I downloaded the utilities and tested them on a laptop and on a
local machine, both with IDE drives.  Nice!  Works as advertised, and
gives a pile of very useful information!  So, I figured I'd deploy it on
all my machines... but first, a final test.

	Screw the long story.  DO NOT TRY THIS PACKAGE on Dell servers using
AACRAID controllers!  I've got a guy on the way over to the colocation
facility now, to reboot the Dell 2550 machine which appears to be hung
solid.  Hopefully it comes back up, and I haven't destroyed anything -
that box isn't in production yet, but it's slotted for production in the
next couple of weeks. :(

	I don't blame the author of the software at all; this is not a slam by
any stretch!  The software works as advertised, on the IDE systems that
I tested - however, on the AACRAID platform, with four 72G SCSI drives
in a pair of mirrors, showing up as sda and sdb.  Using 'smartctl -i
/dev/sda' (iirc) reported that sda was SMART-capable, but that the
temperature sensors were disabled... issuing 'smartctl -c /dev/sda'
locked the system *solid*.

	Cheers,
	- Drew.

PS:  Any word on when the next OMSA, with RH8 support, will be
available?

--
Drew Smith (mux) <drew at riotnrrd.com>
Encrypted e-mail preferred - finger for public key.