Utility partition

ryan@rentec.com ryan at rentec.com
Wed Nov 13 14:02:01 CST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Rob Martin wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Warning, this is my first post to this list.
>
> System: PowerEdge 2600, no RAID, no OS.
>
> I'm in the process of installing Debian Linux (Woody).  I've just
> booted a custom rescue disk (had to put Fusion MPT stuff into the
> kernel (2.4.19)); I'm getting ready to partition the first harddrive
> and see that there is a special Dell partition.  My question:  How
> might I regret deleting that partition?  I'm not sure of its purpose,
> so I don't know if it would be a mistake.

If you call up DELL for hardware support, that's usually the first few
things they want you to do. Run their diagnostic program.

There are still some ways to boot the diagnostic if you choose to blow the
partition away. What we do here is use a combination of pxelinux and
memdisk.  Please let me know if you want to know the details on how we did
it.

	^yan

---
Ryan Go