Utility partition

Rob Martin bmartin at joaptsc.navy.mil
Wed Nov 13 12:51:01 CST 2002

Hi all,

Warning, this is my first post to this list.

System: PowerEdge 2600, no RAID, no OS.

I'm in the process of installing Debian Linux (Woody).  I've just
booted a custom rescue disk (had to put Fusion MPT stuff into the
kernel (2.4.19)); I'm getting ready to partition the first harddrive
and see that there is a special Dell partition.  My question:  How
might I regret deleting that partition?  I'm not sure of its purpose,
so I don't know if it would be a mistake.

TIA
Rob

BTW: I know I should be consulting the online resources (FAQ's, etc.)
first, but it took me a day to figure out the MPT thing (i.e., no SCSI
driver) and I have someone watching my progress on this.