problem installing OMSA Dynamic Kernel Support with RH 2.4.18 -17.7.x kernel

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Wed Nov 13 08:48:00 CST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> > I'm trying to follow Steve's instructions on a new PE 1650 with
> > 2.4.18-17.7.x on 7.3. Everything is fine up until the last step
> > (start_text.sh). When I run it I get the original error again:
>
> > ./sysid: error while loading shared libraries: libdchapi32.so.4: cannot
> > open shared object file: No such file or directory
> > Checking Dependencies...
> > Installation failed : Server Administrator does not support the running
> > kernel.
> > See the Server Administrator readme file for more information.
>
> you got to love these binary only kernel modules that lock you in to
> specific kernel versions....

yes.

that said, i've almost always found from the above error that the patch
has not been applied to the esm build files, or has been overwritten.

wget -nv http://planetmirror.com/pub/dell/linux/server-administrator/dcesm.c
cp dcesm.c  /usr/lib/dell/openmanage/omsa/drivers/open_src/esm/dcesm.c
/etc/init.d/dellomsaesm start

should start. (i have verified it is working on a dell 2450 and 2550 with
RH 7.3 running 2.4.18-17.7.xcustom

unfortunately the rest of OMSA doesn't seem to start very well though for
me on one of my machines (a powerapp 200)

Starting Server Administrator Instrumentation:
Starting dcstor32d:                                        /usr/sbin/dcstor32d: error while loading shared libraries: libdchapi32.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
                                                           [FAILED]
Starting dcevt32d:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting dcsnmp32d:                                        [  OK  ]
# omreport system
Error! Invalid XSL path

i've had a bit of a play around and come up with two ways you can
deal with this.

o install rh 7.3, install OMSA 1.2, then upgrade your kernel, then
  apply the 7.3 patch.

  this has been tested to work.. in that order.

o if you have already upgraded your kernel, you will need to basically
  install OMSA 1.2, then uninstall the dellomsa/ServerAdministrator/dellomsa-esm
  rpms, then reinstall them, apply the rh73 patch, and you should find it
  now works.  you may have to do this more than once.  i eventually got it
  working, but it was quite kludgy.

my guess is that the installer is quite unhappy when it initially cannot
build a working esm module and quits out of the installer without copying
over a library that it later needs (libdchapi32.so.4).

regards,

-jason