Watchdog functionality in OpenManage software.

nuno.leitao@idl-bt.com nuno.leitao at idl-bt.com
Tue Nov 12 06:40:01 CST 2002

  Hi All,

  is there a way for third-party applications to use the watchdog device in
Dell PowerEdge servers ?

  What I need to do is for the watchdog to monitor my application (as
opposed to monitoring only the kernel/operating system) and to reboot if my
app goes down.

  In other watchdog devices, there is a watchdog device present in /dev/ --
and (an) application is required to write some data to this device
periodically to reset the watchdog timer.

  Can this be emulated with the Dell watchdog ? Is there such a device in
/dev ?

  Cheers,

--Nuno.