Hard lockups on PE 6600 (SOLVED - maybe) [also PE2x50 lockups and pe2605 console hang]

Daniele Orlandi daniele at orlandi.com
Mon Nov 11 15:35:00 CST 2002

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 10:13:21AM -0500, Rechenberg, Andrew wrote:
>
>>It appears that the fix to my system lockups was to change the Broadcom
>>NIC driver.  It appears that Dell configures their pre-installed Red Hat
>>systems with the bcm5700 kernel module.  If one installs a fresh Red Hat
>>7.3 system, the tg3 NIC driver is used.

I switched to BCM5700 some day ago and it seems to have fixed the
problem, thought I'm still waiting some day to be really sure.

> can anyone who sees these lockups add
>
> nmi_watchdog=1
 >
 > to the vmlinuz line of /boot/grub/grub.conf?

Sorry... not anymore... now the servers are in production...
Indeed, some week ago, I've posted two links to jpegs showing some part
of the kernel dump that may be useful... (grabbed throught ERA).

> We can't reproduce this behavior in our lab (and trust me, we have some very
> very busy machines there using tg3) so need more information about this
> one..

It may seem more related to a particular usage than on the load. I have
5 almost identical machines, three of them are really identical, same hw
configuration, same OS (redhat 8) and one of those three happened to
crash pretty frequently while others one or two times, not more.

The software running on those three machines is the same (they are three
DAoC servers) but the one crashing has a service more than the others.

Bye!

--
  Daniele Orlandi
  Planet Srl