Official Support

Collins, Kevin KCollins at nesbittengineering.com
Fri Nov 8 13:48:00 CST 2002

I know this has been mentioned on this list before, but I find it and
I'm really curious about it.

I was wondering what Dell's *official* stance on using any other Linux
distribution than RedHat on PowerEdge servers is.

My key point of concern this:  If I choose to (just for argument's sake)
put SuSE on my PowerEdge server.  Everything goes fine (thanks to help
from this list) and the machine works for a year.  Then something goes
wrong.  I know that I could get help from this list with software/setup,
etc.  But what if I suspect a hardware problem like a motherboard.  When
I call Tech Support and say "I'm running SuSE 8.1..." will they help me?

Thanks,

Kevin L. Collins, MCSE
Systems Manager
Nesbitt Engineering, Inc.