backup solutions for linux

Colm MacCarthaigh colm.maccarthaigh at heanet.ie
Fri Nov 8 03:57:01 CST 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:45:56AM -0500, Christopher Barry wrote:
> Yeah. First, forget about tape. Change your thinking about backups. Tape
> takes f o r e v e r.

but has the advantage that you can store backups off-site,
and make copies easily. It's also a potentially infinite
backup medium, dependent only on your number of tapes.

With tape it's easy to have incremental and full backups
of your entire site going back years, and important
consideration for old data. Also off-site backups mean
if the place goes up in flames, you don't go out of
business.

Don't forget an important function of backups is protecting
against admin mistakes, no matter when they were, it's
not just for full recovery.

> The hardware:
> I bought a 3ware Escalade 7500 8-port ATA-RAID card.(I tried others - do
> yourself a favor and get THIS card!) I put it in a PE1400. Got 5 (for
> now) 120G WD caviars and made a 600G RAID0 array (I had to mod the disk
> carrier, and kinda stuff the disks in with foam-rubber padding. HEY, it
> works!;^). Loaded debian on another 10G IDE drive I had laying around,
> and threw in a GigE card.

You backup to disk ? You do realise that using raid0 accross
6 disks means that you've increased the mean-time between failure
of that volume times 6.

No offence, but that's possibly one of the stupidest, least
sane backup schemas I've ever seen. At least make it RAID5
to give yourself some hope.

In answer to the original questions, amanda: www.amanda.org

--
Colm MacCárthaigh