PowerVault 775N + NFS3

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Thu Nov 7 16:29:00 CST 2002

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, John Deatherage wrote:

> Has anyone on the list used the PowerVault 775N with NFS yet?  We were
> thinking about buying one of these units with a 220S enclosure and 10 73GB
> drives.

did you look at the 775 because you specifically wanted an appliance NFS
server rather than a unix server doing NFS ?  otherwise it might be worthwile
to look at a 2650 or a 4600 also.

> We are looking into NAS over our current SAN + fiber channel HBA in every
> machine.  We are only doing web hosting, but will need to push 1 gigabyte or
> so of NFS off the two copper gig NICs.

1 gigabyte in what time frame ? per second ? per day ? or 1 gigabyte of disk space?

we are currently pushing between 1 and 1.5 Tbytes a day across Linux NFS
using copper Int*l gigE nics, with a D*ll fileserver running R*dH*t Linux [1]

> I'm getting more specs from my sales rep, but any Linux experience that
> anyone can provide is appreciated.

it has taken us about 2 years to get to a point where NFS under Linux appears to
be running reasonably.  it will work out of the box but if you are not in a position
to debug and patch your the NFS codebase (we aren't) you will need to be quite
careful in setting it up, tuning and testing it out before you move away from a
SAN model.

we originally specced our servers with a view towards setting up a SAN, but the NAS
model has proven to be more orientated with our business requirements.

regards,

-jason

[1] While we use products from all these companies, we get little or no corporate
    support from them - though individuals responses have been above and beyond
    the call..  - the joys of being in Australia where the Linux installation base
    is just too small to care about, perhaps :-)