2.4.17-18 and PE2x50 lockups

Ben Russo ben at umialumni.com
Thu Nov 7 12:29:01 CST 2002

With 2550's I never had any problems, the Intel NIC's were great!

I love most of the features of the 2650's I have, but the BroadCom NIC's
are terrible.  I have had nothing but problems with them.

I had infuriating problems with the systems locking up with the stock
RedHat 7.3  bcm5700 drivers and the stock RH7.3 kernel (I think it was
2.4.9-31).  I tried all kinds of modules.conf settings and such, and
could never get it to work correctly.  I finally disabled the onboard
NIC's on that shipment of boxes and installed some PCI Nic's I had
laying around ( eepro100's )

A few weeks later I got another shipment of 5 2650's to set up.
I got kernel-smp-2.4.18-5.i686.rpm and switched to the tg3 driver and
the boxes have been stable as a rock ever since then.  I won't be
changing that kernel any time soon.

-Ben.