2.4.17-18 and PE2x50 lockups

Ed Martin ed.martin at iop.org
Thu Nov 7 10:32:01 CST 2002

Hi,

Recently I've had a lot of trouble with a new PE2650.  I've installed RHL 7.3 on it, and for a day all was fine.  I then updated the kernel to 2.4.18-17.  Since then I've had a series of lockups/hangs/freezes.  There is no discernable problem if you look at the main unit - all lights and indicators are normal.  But you can't get any network response from the box, nor is the console operative at all.  To resolve I have to power cycle and reboot.  This occurs within an hour after boot - usually within 10mins.  There is no error that I can see in /var/log/messages.  And the server isn't doing anything in particular.   RHL was installed via OMA v7.2.2.

They are identical symptoms to a problem I also had recently on a 2550.  The box has run fine for several months.  Recently I upgraded from RHL v7.2 to v7.3, flashed the bios and the PERC3/DC, and switched the network lead from an Intel E100 card to the inbuilt broadcom.  I also installed the latest errata kernel - 2.4.17-18.  This server then experienced several lockups - from 1 minute after boot to a few hours.  The lockups went away when I switched back to the Intel E100 card from the broadcom.  All other updates were left in place.

I plan to leave the 2650 with 2.4.18-10 running, to see if that is stable.  I may also install a Intel 1000T nic, and see if this works, indicating that the problem was again linked to the broadcom.  In the meantime however I wanted to post my experience here.  I am a bit confused as I understood that the 7.x 2.4.18-17 kernel was particularly heavily tested!

Any ideas anyone?  I'd like to resolve this problem, or I won't dare update any of the other 2550/2650's we've got.

Yours,

Ed

---
Ed Martin
Head of Systems Technology and Support
IOP Publishing Ltd
Dirac House, Temple Back
Bristol  BS1 6BE
ddi: +44 (0)117 930 1102
www:  http://www.iop.org

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked by MIMEsweeper using
F-Secure Anti-Virus for the presence of computer viruses.