Firewall settings

Jeffrey Guilfoyle JeffreyGuilfoyle at solutionary.com
Wed Nov 6 11:12:01 CST 2002

Here are some quick checks.  I did this on a RH7.2 machine, so YMMV.

Make sure the apache processes are running:

$ ps -u apache
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
13861 ?        00:00:00 httpd
18632 ?        00:00:00 httpd
20777 ?        00:00:00 httpd
12531 ?        00:00:00 httpd
11463 ?        00:00:00 httpd
 5714 ?        00:00:00 httpd

If they are not running, do an '/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start' to get
them up and running.  You can run a 'ntsysv' to give you a menu to
configure the service to automatically start.

Assuming the services are running, and you cannot 'telnet localhost 80',
see if the service is bound to the port (as root):
# netstat -anp|grep http
tcp      0    0 0.0.0.0:80    0.0.0.0:*      LISTEN      26396/httpd

If the processes are running, and the port is listening, then you must
have a local firewall issue.  Do an 'lsmod' to see if you are running
iptables or ipchains.  You can do an 'rmmod [ipchains|iptables] to
unload the firewall and see if that fixes the problem.

--jeff

The