USB wheel mouse in RH7.3 on Precision 530

Lee, David Y. dlee at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Tue Nov 5 14:01:00 CST 2002

A number of our users have ordered the Precision 530 with USB mouse option (logitech/dell) and Redhat 7.3. However, the scroll wheel does not function in Xwindows. Is there a specific configuration needed on the Precision series w/ linux for USB mice?

Looking around on the web, most people recommended using "Protocol" "IMPS/2" in XF86Config but this just causes mouse movement to be extremely erratic and unusable. For now, we have resorted to using:

Driver	"mouse"
Option	"Device		"/dev/psaux"
Option	"Protocol		"PS/2"
Option	"Emulate3Buttons	"yes"
Option	"ZaxisMapping	"4 5"
Option	"Button"		"5"

This works fine, just no mouse wheel. Using the wheel as a center button does work.

Ideas?

Thanks
Dave Lee