Adding a second processor and RAM

Basil Hussain basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com
Fri Nov 1 05:34:00 CST 2002

Hi,

> I hope this isn't *to* off topic. I've got a 1550 with dual processors
> (PIII 1ghz) and 2x512mb RAM. I've got a 2550 with 1 processor (PIII
> 1ghz) and 1gb RAM. I want to move 1 of the processors from the 1550 and
> all of it's ram to the 2550, I know with SMP you need to have processors
> the same speed, but I've also heard that there are other requirements
> (cache/voltage I guess?). If this is True, how can I find out the needed
> info under Linux. And a really off topic question: Will the RAM from a
> 1550 just pop into a 2550 (same bus speed?). Thanks.

If the 2550 uses the same chipset as the 2500, then I believe you can use
the same RAM. I have myself stolen RAM from one of our own 1550s and put it
in a 2500! :-) Make sure you transfer the RAM in pairs, as both the 1550 and
2500 use interleaving.

As for the CPU, if you do "cat /proc/cpuinfo" on each server and make sure
all the info is the same, then you should have no trouble with
compatibility. Just for reference, here is the info for one of the CPUs in
one of my own 1550 1GHz servers:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 6
cpu MHz         : 993.382
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
sep_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr xmm
bogomips        : 1985.74

One other issue that just crossed my mind is that of CPU heatsinks. I cannot
remember what the heatsinks are like in the 1550, but you should make sure
that it physically fits in with whatever cooling system is used in the 2550.

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings
E-Mail: basil.hussain at kodakweddings.com