PERC3/DC and ext3

Abe Hayhurst abe at wedographics.com
Wed Jun 26 10:25:01 CDT 2002

I had originally posted the question below to the linux-poweredge list, but
got no response, and I have a box I am going to begin work on today. Does
anyone know whether PERC3 in write-back mode with ext3 is stable?

Also what are the block size options under ext3 and what is the default
block size? I know ext2 defaults to 1024k, but can also do 2048k or 4096k.
If you were selecting a RAID1 stripe size for a disk devoted exclusively to
your /swap partition, what stripe size would be best? Standard 64K or would
setting to 4096K be faster and allow more I/O's since this is the memory
apge size that linux uses? My system has 1GB of RAM and will therefore have
a 2GB swap partition. All my data (large files) will be on a separate RAID10
volume with 128K srtipes. My /boot and my root partition will be on a
separate RAID1 volume. What stripe size would be optimal for those
partitions?