Some help about backups and mirroring

Michael Solberg msolberg at
Wed Jun 26 08:24:01 CDT 2002

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 dballester at wrote:

> Hi to all:
>      First of all, I always try to get info by my own to solve the problems
> but in some cases the problem is sufficient important and I need to ask
> directly for any type of solution ( when the systems are in danger ). For
> me, this is one of this cases and I need your help. I have one PowerEdge
> 1500 SC. I need to make a regular backups but I have no idea to know what
> type of tape drive I have exactly ( I tried to take a look to the /proc
> info with no result ). If it's util, the service tag is 2CNSB0J. Any how-to
> to make possible the backup procedure with the standard Linux tools ( we
> haven't graphical interface ) will be very aprreciated.

I've already posted this to list once, but I'll offer it up again.  :-)

I've put the little scripts that we use to do backups here at the
University of Georgia.  There's a simple tar script, which should work on
any tape drive, and there's also a multitape script that should work with
any device with which mtx works.  These guys just do a full backup every
night, which is what we use for almost all of our systems.

Hope that helps!