nfs from/to multi-homed hosts

jason andrade jason at dstc.edu.au
Wed Jun 26 07:08:00 CDT 2002

On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Norman Bridges wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm running Redhat 7.3 on a Dell 2500 with 2.4.18-4. It is being used
> as an nfs server for Solaris clients. Both the 2500 and the Solaris
> clients have multiple ethernet interfaces on the same subnets.

i hate nfs installations like this,. debugging is never fun :-)

> mount -F nfs -onoquota,nosuid,grpid,hard,vers=3 my2500:/export/home/cc /tmp/workb
>
> 50% of the time this mount fails

are you using the same name for multiple interfaces ?  is the my2500 defined
in /etc/hosts ? can you "lock" this in /etc/hosts with something like

ip#	nfs2500

and mount from nfs2500 instead ?

and similarly on the nfs server, export to a specific ip#.

it feels like requests are being passed down different interfaces, and only
one of them has a path to the nfs server (or client)

regards,

-jason