RedHat vs. the rest of Linux

Heather Guse hguse at dpnsecurity.com
Tue Jun 25 11:32:00 CDT 2002

Incorrectly sent the first time...fingers are faster than the brain.

Ouch no flames from me, but please don't put BSD in the linux catagory...

As far as distros go:
I use OpenBSD, FreeBSD, RedHat x.x
I have used Suse, but I don't like Yast...of course I don't like anything that isn't command line, easy, and fast.

Here is how I chose my distros:

OpenBSD -only on firewalls.  I limit the hardware and we never let a client touch it for liability reasons.  It runs extremely lean and secure. OH and pf (packet filter for OpenBSD)  makes IP Chains/tables look like a convoluted ball of yarn that my cat got to.

FreeBSD -InterOffice only. Partially chosen because business partner/boyfriend  kept whining :) (he is a bsd guy).  Actually, the distrubution has managed to keep up with driver development, and compiling is way to easy.

RedHat -All client installs (file, print, mail).  I chose RedHat, because Dell made it easy by supporting and bundling.  And because moving 10 locations off of pure Microsloth is not easy until you tell them, "that yes this is opensource, but commercial support is available".  I am not a huge fan of RPMs, yes in theory they are great, rpm -i...poof*.  But alas this has not been the case and often I prefer the old way so at least I can point it to the correct libraries that are installed but that the rpm couldn't find.  All in all, I have been happy.  And The crazy guys on this list have been great.

Oh yeah.  Keep up the great support.

Heather Guse
DPN, Inc.
On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 03:19:55PM -0600, Aly Dharshi had written: