nfs from/to multi-homed hosts

Norman Bridges n.w.bridges at isc.keele.ac.uk
Tue Jun 25 06:08:01 CDT 2002

Hi All,

I'm running Redhat 7.3 on a Dell 2500 with 2.4.18-4. It is being used
as an nfs server for Solaris clients. Both the 2500 and the Solaris
clients have multiple ethernet interfaces on the same subnets.

Here's the exports:

/export/home/cc         foo.bar.keele.ac.uk(rw)

Here's the Solaris 7 mount command

mount -F nfs -onoquota,nosuid,grpid,hard,vers=3 my2500:/export/home/cc /tmp/workb

50% of the time this mount fails

[solaris]
nfs mount: bowfell:/export/home/cc: Permission denied

[my2500 messages]
Jun 25 11:05:43 my2500 rpc.mountd: authenticated mount request from foo.bar.keele.ac.uk:989 for /export/home/cc (/export/home/cc)
Jun 25 11:05:43 my2500 rpc.mountd: getfh failed: Operation not permitted

If the mount succeeds then after some as yet unknown time interval mountd
on my2500 hangs and mounts no longer succeed (I get RPC timeouts). A further
symptom is that "showmount -e" on my2500 no longer responds, although
"exportfs" still reports exported filesystems. I can clear the
condition only by reloading (i.e. /etc/init.d/nfss restart).

I can further report that similar symptoms occur if the client is a
multi-homed BSDI system, and that no such problems appear to happen if
the client and server both have single interfaces. Again if the client
has a single interface with a multi-homed server there are no apparent
problems.

Anyone any clues / fixes ?

Thanks in advance.

--