RedHat 7.3 and PE 6650

Les Niles lniles at Narus.com
Mon Jun 24 20:24:01 CDT 2002

Matt_Domsch at Dell.com [mailto:Matt_Domsch at Dell.com] wrote:
> > Alternatively,
> > are the fixes needed if I promise not to use
> > any PCI cards that have on-board bridges?
>
> No, not strictly needed in that case.
>
> > (Assuming the PERC3 RAID card does not have
> > bridges, which appears to be the case.)
>
> The PERC3 series cards *do* have a PCI bridge on them. :-)

Thanks for the info; that bridge wasn't obvious from
looking at lspci for the PERC3.  Anyway, I realized
that one of the NICs we use does have a PCI bridge,
so the issue is moot.

> > How does the server administrator determine
> > what kernel versions it supports?
>
> It's kind of confusing, but essentially it looks at 'uname
> -r' for a match
> on its internal list, and if no match, then use the DKS feature which
> requires source.  Even if the module already exists because
> you built and
> copied it separately, since it's not known to the
> 'dellomsa-drivers' package
> already, it'll try to use DKS.  There's no "does this module
> already exist
> in /lib/modules/..." test in the current implementation.

OK.  I looked at the scripts and thought they were just
looking for the module in /lib/modules/`uname -r`, but it
was kind of late on Friday....

> I'll create an RFE for the OMSA team to see if they can add
> such a test into future versions.

Thanks, Matt.  In the meantime I guess we'll just load
the source and let the installer do its thing.  (Which is
rather cool, BTW, just not my first choice for cloning
a configuration in a manufacturing process.)

  -les