Hardware RAID 1 + Software RAID 0

Abe Hayhurst abe at wedographics.com
Mon Jun 24 17:47:00 CDT 2002

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on the following idea? My goal
is the fastest (MB/sec.) RAID 10 I can create from 8 disks.

8 SCSI disks connected to a PERC3/DC controller, 4 per channel x 2 channels.
Create 4 RAID 1 logical volumes via the PERC3 BIOS software. Create a RAID 0
array in Linux using the 4 RAID 1 arrays. Because the RAID 1 volumes are
created in hardware, you retain your hotswap ability.

Any experiences, thoughts, or concerns? What do you think?

-Abe