PE4600 and Red Hat Questions

Seth Mos knuffie at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 21 16:22:00 CDT 2002

At 16:35 21-6-2002 -0400, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

>for raid0/1 I'd recommend 64K to 128Kb... smaller is worse generally.
>Playing with the caching settings (and readahead) is worth it, the optimal
>settings for these very much depends on the workload

128KB works well in combo with both the 10KRPM and 15KRPM disks.
I tested this on a PERC3/DC in a 2550 with raid10. Larger gives you better
sequential throughput.

> > My setup will be a PERC3/DC with 4 10,000 RPM drives on each SCSI channel
> > for a total of 8 10,000 RPM drives. I was planning on doing RAID 10 becuase
> > from what I had read on Dell's website this would give me the best
> > performance. My goal is maximum MB/sec. The RAID will be used for file
> > sharing large (50 - 500 MB) files. So the goal would be maximizing MB/sec
> > for sequential reads and writes. Since an individual drive can push 25 - 30
> > MB/sec I was hoping to achieve 100 - 120 MB/sec.
>
>120Mb/sec will be a nice chalange versus the PCI bandwidth.
>Note that pure RAID0 will be faster than RAID10 for single threaded use.

It's a 64Bit/66Mhz bus/card so it's more like 533MB/s :)
Raid 10 is fastest in reading and writing at the expense of some extra
disks. It's also low overhead on the raid controller. The PERC3/DC isn't
the most powerfull raid controller.
If you can spare the money the PERC3/QC should be a faster choice even when
you are not using the other channels. Although I am not sure this affects
the raid 10 performance.

Cheers

--
Seth