PE4600 and Red Hat Questions

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 15:37:01 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 08:30:12AM -0500, Abe Hayhurst wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2002, Arjan Van de Ven wrote:
>
> >> 5. I have two PERC3/DC cards in the box. I am assuming I configure the
> RAID
> >> volumes in the bios or by booting off a Dell CD before I install Red Hat.
> Is
> >> that correct?
> >
> >yes. Note that it pays to "play" a bit with the several settings before
> >doing your final install, depending on the disks it can make a LOT of
> >performance difference
>
> What settings would you recommend I play with? What would recommend for a
> stripe size?

for raid0/1 I'd recommend 64K to 128Kb... smaller is worse generally.
Playing with the caching settings (and readahead) is worth it, the optimal
settings for these very much depends on the workload

> My setup will be a PERC3/DC with 4 10,000 RPM drives on each SCSI channel
> for a total of 8 10,000 RPM drives. I was planning on doing RAID 10 becuase
> from what I had read on Dell's website this would give me the best
> performance. My goal is maximum MB/sec. The RAID will be used for file
> sharing large (50 - 500 MB) files. So the goal would be maximizing MB/sec
> for sequential reads and writes. Since an individual drive can push 25 - 30
> MB/sec I was hoping to achieve 100 - 120 MB/sec.

120Mb/sec will be a nice chalange versus the PCI bandwidth.
Note that pure RAID0 will be faster than RAID10 for single threaded use.