PE4600 and Red Hat Questions

Abe Hayhurst abe at wedographics.com
Fri Jun 21 10:20:00 CDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002, Arjan Van de Ven wrote:

>> 5. I have two PERC3/DC cards in the box. I am assuming I configure the
RAID
>> volumes in the bios or by booting off a Dell CD before I install Red Hat.
Is
>> that correct?
>
>yes. Note that it pays to "play" a bit with the several settings before
>doing your final install, depending on the disks it can make a LOT of
>performance difference

What settings would you recommend I play with? What would recommend for a
stripe size?

My setup will be a PERC3/DC with 4 10,000 RPM drives on each SCSI channel
for a total of 8 10,000 RPM drives. I was planning on doing RAID 10 becuase
from what I had read on Dell's website this would give me the best
performance. My goal is maximum MB/sec. The RAID will be used for file
sharing large (50 - 500 MB) files. So the goal would be maximizing MB/sec
for sequential reads and writes. Since an individual drive can push 25 - 30
MB/sec I was hoping to achieve 100 - 120 MB/sec.

If you refer to the following link on Dell's website you can see that they
actual average 33 MB/sec per 10,000 RPM drive in a RAID 10. Their setup was
6 drives, yielding a stripe of 3 mirrors. They got 100 MB/sec with all 6
drives on a single channel. They were using a PERC3/QC, but were only using
a single channel on it, so that should not change the results.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/biz/topics/power_ps2q02-wong.htm

Thanks,

Abe Hayhurst