disk i/o

Craig I. Hagan hagan at cih.com
Thu Jun 20 23:05:01 CDT 2002

> Besides that though, the 35 MB/sec is the normal
> unacceptable rate you'll commonly see with newer
> Dell (AMI and Adaptec) raid controllers.  I have

for the ami based ones, set the "readahead" parameter for the volume to either
"none" or "readahead". I've found that this will give you a good performance
boost over the default, "adaptive", while running linux.

> heard that the big daddy Perc3/QC is a different
> beast altogether though, posting very impressive
> results.  It's quite a bit more money...

the perc3/QC is also an ami based board. i've had decent
luck with it, however, i've found that linux's software
raid is very competetive with it.

-- craig