Totally ignorant Richard_Goodwin at
Thu Jun 20 14:51:00 CDT 2002

Unless I'm mistaken, RH 7.3 should install "out of the box" on the 1400SC,
w/o giving you any headaches. If you walk through the install, you will see
that it's pretty straightforward. After that, search for books on Linux
System Administration, or Red Hat Administration. In fact, the docs that
come w/ Red Hat (and are available on their site) are pretty good.

In my personal experience, it's hard to "learn Linux". More often than not,
you have to go about a task, and learn how to do that task properly, then
move on to the next, etc. and are your friends

-----Original Message-----
From: SMiller at [mailto:SMiller at]
Sent: Thursday, June 20, 2002 12:52 PM
To: linux-poweredge at
Subject: Totally ignorant

Hello. I have ordered a shrink wrap copy of RH 7.3 Server for installation
on my PE1400SC (ordered without Linux pre-install). I have 25+ years in IT,
but this is my first adventure with Linux (can you spell d-i-n-o-s-a-u-r;>)
I know that I will need to download the appropriate support files from Dell
(PERC2 RAID, etc.), but little else. As an utter newbie in this area, I'm
looking for some FAQ, checklist, or other high-level guide for the recently
brain dead that will inform me of the basics to get the OS up and running
on my server. I've looked around the archives of this list and around Mr.
Domsch's site, but no joy. Is what I'm looking for so generic that I should
get it from some vanilla Linux site or a "Linux for Dummies" type guide
rather than looking for Dell-specific information? Any pointers will be
greatly appreciated.

Scott Miller
Mgr IS Support
Unimin Corporation

Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge at
Please read the FAQ at or search the list
archives at