FYI how to sidestep potential NFS problems

Jay Emerson john.emerson at yale.edu
Thu Jun 20 11:02:01 CDT 2002

All -

	My 4400 server was running Redhat 7.0 with an older nfs-utils.  It wasn't
a problem until I tried new 7.3 client machines with the default window manager.
When regular users tried logging in, there were gconf errors to the client and
lockd and RPC_STAT errors on the server (home directories are NFS mounted).
The errors didn't occur with KDE, which (I'm guessing) doesn't require file
locking.

	Solution: upgrade nfs-utils on the server, then the file locking works
properly, etc...

	Anyway, just my 2 cents, and yes I realize this is a software issue and
not Dell PE-specific.  But maybe it will save someone a few hours.

Jay

--
Jay Emerson
Graduate Student, Statistics