PE4600 and Red Hat Questions

Abe Hayhurst abe at wedographics.com
Thu Jun 20 10:26:00 CDT 2002

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a dual processor PE4600 w/ 1.5 GB of RAM (1 GB usable, 512 MB
used as a spare bank), w/ Red Hat 7.2 that should arrive next week. The box
will be used as a file server for graphics workstations, serving large (50 -
500 MB) files. I was browsing through the archives of the Linux-PowerEdge
List and came across several threads that brough up questions for me.

1. To get the best performance from this box, should I be looking at RH 7.2,
7.3, or RH Advanced Server?

2. If I do the installation from the RH7.2 CD's that come with the box, will
I need to do any special configuration during the install or afterwards to
use hyper-threading on the processors?

2. Will I need to do anything special to get it to use the 1 GB of RAM?

3. What is the most reliable and best performing copper gigabit card
available? Is the driver included on the RH7.2, RH7.3, or RHAS CD's?

3. If I go with Broadcom card on the motherboard, will the RH installer use
the Tigon3 driver or the Broadcom driver? Which driver is better?

4. I have a RAID system that will be attached to the server that is capable
of more MB/s than a gigabit card can do, and my workstations all have
gigabit cards, so I am looking at more than one gigabit adapter, but would
prefere not to have two separate subnets. Is adapter teaming or load
balancing currently reliable and does it improve performance?

5. I have two PERC3/DC cards in the box. I am assuming I configure the RAID
volumes in the bios or by booting off a Dell CD before I install Red Hat. Is
that correct?

Thanks,

Abe Hayhurst