webhosting - 1650's versus 6650's etc.

Jerker Nyberg jerker at update.uu.se
Wed Jun 19 04:57:01 CDT 2002

Hello Bryce,

Check out LinuxVirtualServer and High Availability for Linux at
http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org and http://www.linux-ha.org.

I use a combination of Heartbeat/Ldirector/LinuxVirtualServer for load
balancing with the current setup - see below. It is as you can see not
redundant everywhere, but at least the webservers are. Not NFS or MySQL or
switches.

As LVS-servers I use Dell Poweredge 2300. As webservers I use Dell
Poweredge 2x2450/1x1550/3x1650/1xNoname. As databaseservers I use Dell
Poweredge 2300/2550 and as NFS-servers I use Dell 4300/2500.

The servers handle hosting for around 3000 domains and in our case the
current limiting factor is CPU om the webservers (lots of CGI-scripts and
other strange things are run) and CPU on the databases (customers doesn't
always use indexes..) and the outgoing traffic is maxing 8 Mbit/s.

My impression is that the biggers servers does not have a as good
price/performance (for trivially parallel applications as webhosting) as
the smaller servers. For a databases and similiar applications the bigger
servers can sometimes be good though.

Take care.

Regards,
Jerker Nyberg.
Uppsala Sweden.

             :          :
             : Internet :
             :..........:
              |        |
            Tele2    UUNET
              |        |
          +------+  +------+
          |router|  |router|
          +------+  +------+
            ====switch====-----|smtp2/ns2|
               |      |        +---------+
             +---+  +---+
             |LVS|==|LVS|
             +---+  +---+
               |      |
   |mail/web/ftp|+    |NFS|+ |SQL|+ |ssh/telnet|