Help with Unix root special file and PERCRAID needed

Kris Carlier root at iguana.be
Tue Jun 18 15:57:00 CDT 2002

Hi David,

> and sets the Mirror Container as the boot container, ie. number #00.  With
> the Legacy container removed from the system, I'd expect the Mirror
> container to become /dev/sda and I'd expect to boot it with a Linux boot
> floppy.  It doesn't!  Upon booting linux rescue, the /proc/partitions shows
> a 'phantom' /dev/sda of the original 9GB Legacy container:
>
> sh-2.05# more /proc/partitiions
> major minor  #blocks  name
>
>    8	   0	  8906752 sda 7 0 14 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>    8    16   35278392 sdb ......................
>    8    17      40131 sdb1 ...................
>
> Anyone know why this phantom /dev/sda exists and/or how to clear it?  I
> tried using the DOS fdisk /MBR to clear it but it is still there.
>
> Even worse, the original Legacy container doens't boot either now and it
> also has the same unclearable phantom /dev/sda device on that disk.
>
> I believe this has something to do with the Unix root special file but I
> can't find any reference about this problem anywhere.
>
> Can any one help shed any light or pointer, which would be much appreciated.

the way we dod things like that :

afacli
open afa0
container list
container create mirror XXX YYY
(where XXX is the container number of the existing single volume/disk, and
YYY the number of the physical disk you wnat to mirror it to)
task list of just look at the lower line to see the preogress. When it's
done:
container split XXX
container list
(to check on the number of the newly create mirror)
remove the physical disk YYY
put in a new disk
controller rescan
container create mirror XXX YYY

and there you are back at square one, but with an offline copy

kr=