webhosting - 1650's versus 6650's etc.

Bryce C bryce8080 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 18 13:59:29 CDT 2002

--- "Hubbard, David" <dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com>
wrote:
> I'd say don't do it, although it would be cool to
> have a four cpu box. :-)  The reason is not only the
one you already stated about more customers affected
by
> problems, but in Dell's case, you'll end up with not
enough disk  performance to handle that many users
unless the 6650 comes with a dramatically improved
raid controller.

Yup - forgot all about those issues - I guess I'm just
looking for an excuse to get one of the bigger boxes!

> The other problems you can sometimes have with
> putting
> massive numbers of sites on one server are
> filedescriptor
> issues, too many processes (or limited processes and
> none to service requests), etc.

yeah, though luckily we've seen those issues go away
in the past year or two with the newer kernels. Just
ought of curiosity - what's your idea of "massive
numbers"

> I'd personally recommend using 2650's, you get two
> xeon's
> in there and can put a more manageable number of
> sites
> on each server.  Unless you need 1U.

Yeah, I think you are correct. Do you like the xeon's?
I've really never used them but would be interested in
hearing any testimonials.