webhosting - 1650's versus 6650's etc.

Hubbard, David dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Tue Jun 18 13:47:00 CDT 2002

I'd say don't do it, although it would be cool to have a
four cpu box. :-)  The reason is not only the one you
already stated about more customers affected by problems,
but in Dell's case, you'll end up with not enough disk
performance to handle that many users unless the 6650
comes with a dramatically improved raid controller.

The other problems you can sometimes have with putting
massive numbers of sites on one server are filedescriptor
issues, too many processes (or limited processes and
none to service requests), etc.

I'd personally recommend using 2650's, you get two xeon's
in there and can put a more manageable number of sites
on each server.  Unless you need 1U.

David