webhosting - 1650's versus 6650's etc.

Micah Cooper coopermj at muohio.edu
Tue Jun 18 13:41:00 CDT 2002

My dream (and I put this out there to hear others' comments) would be to
have multiple cheap servers behind multiple cheap load balancers behind
a firewall that allowed only HTTP to port 80 in front of a firewall that
allowed only NFS from those hosts. On the other side of the NFS
firewall, have an NFS server on a nonroutable IP address (making the
firewall able to route between the two). On the hosts b/t the firewalls,
remove all disk, having them mount root RO from the NFS server (and have
them configured only to allow RO).

That's what I would do if I could waste money.

If I had to sell servers, like Dell, I'd put everything above on Windows
so it would take more servers and when people copied me, they'd buy more
servers from me.

-Micah