serial port problem

Tarun Bhatia tarunb at lightsand.com
Tue Jun 18 13:35:01 CDT 2002

Hi,

I am having problem connecting to Dell PowerEdge 1650 using serial cable.
On the client side, I am using HyperTerm utility on WinNT. I am wondering
if straight serial cable is OK or I need a NULL modem for connection.

I tried adding folowing lines in /etc/inittab

/sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0
/sbin/agetty -L 9600 ttyS0 vt100
 /sbin/agetty -mt60 ttyS0 9600,2400,1200

followed by telinit q. But it didn't help. On hyperterm I saw in the bottom
bar 'connected 00:00:07' and hyperTerm seemed to hang at times.

I would appreciate if I could get help in this regard.

thanks
Tarun!!