webhosting - 1650's versus 6650's etc.

Bryce C bryce8080 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 18 13:16:00 CDT 2002

Hi,

A bit of random thoughts that I'd like to hear others
comments/experience on...

We currently use mainly 1650's for webserving
(apache/php/mysql/etc.). I'm curious if anyone is
using some of the "bigger" Dell servers (6650's) for
the same type of use?

Any thoughts on scalability, etc.?

We've always had the philosophy of keeping a modest
number of clients on each 1650 so that in the worst
case an outage would only effect those customers.

However it seems to me that if things are set up
correctly (RAID, redudant power supplies, etc.) that
an outage shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Given enough RAM and CPU (say 4 gigs and 4 Xeon's on a
6650 versus 1 gig and 2 PIII's on a 1650) what would
you do if given the choice?

Of course I think the bottom line is that I'm just
trying to find an excuse to justify putting in an
order for a nice 4 proc 6650 :)

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear everyones thoughts
and comments on the matter. I'm always a bit nervous
to try to place too many clients on a single server
but it seems like the some of the bigger webhosts/ISPs
etc. must be doing things like this (ie. tons of
people on more powerfull servers).