Help with Unix root special file and PERCRAID needed

David Vu David.Vu at aarnet.edu.au
Mon Jun 17 20:33:01 CDT 2002

I have a PERC2/si on a 2400, and I am planning to migrate the contents of a
single SCSI disk to a mirror set (a test scenario).

I plan to do this online on RHL 7.1 using afacli, to initialize the new
disks, create the volume, create the mirror set, fdisk the new mirror,
mke2fs it and then copy the contents from the Legacy Container to the Mirror
container.

Initial container list: with Legacy container on /dev/sda:

COMMAND: container list
Executing: container list
Num          Total  Oth Chunk          Scsi   Partition
Label Type   Size   Ctr Size   Usage   B:ID:L Offset:Size
----- ------ ------ --- ------ ------- ------ -------------
 0    Legacy 8.47GB            Open    0:00:0 0.00 B:8.47GB
 /dev/sda

After creation of a mirror container on /dev/sdb:

COMMAND: container list
Executing: container list
Num          Total  Oth Chunk          Scsi   Partition
Label Type   Size   Ctr Size   Usage   B:ID:L Offset:Size
----- ------ ------ --- ------ ------- ------ -------------
 0    Legacy 8.47GB            Open    0:00:0 0.00 B:8.47GB
 /dev/sda

 1    Mirror 33.8GB            Valid   0:02:0 64.0KB:33.8GB
 /dev/sdb             mirror           0:03:0 64.0KB:33.8GB

After the mirror container was scrubbed, all went well with the fdisk,
mke2fs and copying of the contents from /dev/sda /dev/sdb.

Now I shutdown the machine, physically remove the Legacy container disk from
the drive bay.  Power it up, the PERC BIOS automatically reconfigures itself
and sets the Mirror Container as the boot container, ie. number #00.  With
the Legacy container removed from the system, I'd expect the Mirror
container to become /dev/sda and I'd expect to boot it with a Linux boot
floppy.  It doesn't!  Upon booting linux rescue, the /proc/partitions shows
a 'phantom' /dev/sda of the original 9GB Legacy container:

sh-2.05# more /proc/partitiions
major minor  #blocks  name

   8	   0	  8906752 sda 7 0 14 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
   8    16   35278392 sdb ......................
   8    17      40131 sdb1 ...................

Anyone know why this phantom /dev/sda exists and/or how to clear it?  I
tried using the DOS fdisk /MBR to clear it but it is still there.

Even worse, the original Legacy container doens't boot either now and it
also has the same unclearable phantom /dev/sda device on that disk.

I believe this has something to do with the Unix root special file but I
can't find any reference about this problem anywhere.

Can any one help shed any light or pointer, which would be much appreciated.

PERC2/SI FW 2.7, RHL 7.1, kernel-2.4.9-31, afaapps-2.6

Thanks in advance,

David.